The success of your small-business web site depends a lot on how you choose partners at each step
of its development, right form designing your small-business website to hosting it over the net.
When you are at the start of your business, you don’t need a big website and a huge disk space on the
server and probably look for companies offering affordable web hosting plans.
Let’s say, you have got your Domain Name (www.yourdomain.com). Its time to check for a good hosting
service provider to have your files uploaded in the domain.
If you go for a Linux Based Hosting Plan, make sure you have the following included in your plans:
1. Control Panel – This is the nucleus of your website. In a Control Panel, popularly known as CP,
you can literally do anything. The moment you signup for a hosting plan, you must be provided with a
CP to manage your web space.
2. POP3 email Ids & Aliases – [email protected] is an example POP3 ID. You must be provided
with ample of POP3 email ids depending on your package size for better mail administration.
3. FTP Accounts & Virtual FTP – This is your online folder where you upload your files, delete them,
and update them. Make sure you have handful of FTP sub-accounts to provide your clients/users with
password protected directories. This is very much useful wherein your clients/users can use the
FTP to upload /download files from designated password protected folders.
4. Backup – Most quality hosting service providers take automated backups.
While choosing your hosting plan, make sure of this.
5. Web Statistics – Say, your website has been launched and you get NIL Visits or More than
100 Visits per day. Whatever the case may be, visitor analysis plays a key role in the success
of your website. You can view the Report using Statistics Application that run in the server backend.
6. Bandwidth – Choose the hosting plan that gives enough bandwidth for your website.
Even though you cannot judge at the beginning, as time progresses, you can easily calculate the
7. PHP & Mysql Support – All the Linux Plans support PHP & Mysql. Make sure you get this free of
charge when you buy the hosting plan. Few Hosting Providers may charge extra for MYSQL Database Support
8. Webmail & SMTP – Email becomes key part in your life once you launch the website.
Check if the hosts provide WEBMAIL (mail.yourdomain.com) to check your mails through a web based
interface using Squirrelmail or Horde. Corporate users prefer downloading mails thru Email Clients
such as Eudora or Outlook Express. Only if SMTP or IMAP support is enabled you can use this option.
Hence check if SMTP support is provided.
9. SPAM ASSASIN – No email user is free from a spam attack. Hence you need to have Spam Filters
installed on the server where your website resides.
10. IP – If your website requires SSL Support (https ://), make sure you get a DEDICATED IP.
Most of the websites are hosted on shared IPs. Ask your Hosting Provider about the extra charges
involved in getting a dedicated IP and SSL Support. Note: For SSL (https ://), you need to buy a
These are the basic ingredients of Linux hosting plans
Choosing your hosting provider is perhaps the most crucial element in the success of your website.
You need a good hosting partner for hosting your well-designed web pages on the server to be viewed by
your potential customers.
The right web partners help you to get good footing on the net from the very start of your small-business,
be it in the terms of building your brand image and presence, search engine optimization or providing
small business hosting solutions